In today’s Five for Wednesday: fooling artificial intelligence, signal-boosting smartphone cases, and privacy apps.
- It turns out that computer vision is pretty easy to fool, and artificial intelligence produces a lot of false positives. Humans are likely safe for a good number of years.
- Smartphone cases that provide extra battery life are commonplace; here’s one that claims to boost your cell signal.
- It’s pretty easy to imagine what will be in the smart homes of the future, but the operating system controlling it all? That’s far from clear.
- Some really cool new technologies, many of them Internet of Things-related, are being introduced at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show.
- Concerned about online privacy? Here’s a roundup of some of the best encrypted communication, anonymous browsing, and theft protection apps.